Subject: Re: State of the netboot doc
To: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
From: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 01/19/2003 13:38:24
All of the points James has outlined below are well taken.  Though it's
not an official NetBSD project document, my older VAX specific
netbooting howto is referenced by the NetBSD/vax project page, and for
better or worse, it's generally the document that one finds when
searching for information on the internet.  I've moved the original and
have updated all of the existing links at its primary location with a
notice to not use this document since it is no longer maintained.

I'm not very familiar enough with the contents of the official NetBSD
project netbooting instructions, but perhaps that document's maintainer
will take any appropriate to update it to reflect the current state of
things?

And as for the VAX specific installation instructions that are part of
the release notes, their inaccuracies have bothered me for a while too.
They're very PC-centric.  Having never investigated how this install
document is generated, or where its source files are, I'd don't know off
the top of my head how to update it with instructions that are relevant
for VAX systems.  In part, I suspect correcting it has been ignored
because there are such a wide variety of VAX systems available, spanning
25 years of change.  The basic procedures for booting a system from the
console are similiar, but there are probably a few dozen specific ways
to initiate a boot depending on various types of disk devices, tape
devices, and network devices available.  Still, it would be nice to at
least have the install instruction reference reasonable examples.  I'll
see if I can find out more about remedying this for the VAX port in the
1.6.1 release.

-brian.