Subject: Re: language names and character sets for web pages
To: None <netbsd-docs@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 11/07/2002 09:54:45
Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.nov.zwei@onlinehome.de> wrote:
> Jan Schaumann wrote:
> > Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.nov.zwei@onlinehome.de> wrote:
>
> > I believe this should be ISO-8859-15 - as most (all?) ISO-8859-1's
> > should be to include the Euro etc.
>
> Quoting translate.html:

Guess who wrote that and should have known...  Given this, I obviously
retract my previous statement. ;-}

> > I had asked Paulo the same question when I originally imported the
> > branch.  His answer led me to include "-BR" -- since it was given in a
> > private email, I'll not copy'n paste it here, but the differences seemed
> > at least as strong as the differences between de-DE and de-CH.
>
> Shouldn't we then be more consistent and use htdocs/pt-BR/ instead of
> htdocs/pt/ if the HTML pages use <html lang="pt-BR">?

Hmmmm, dunno.  Given that we have zh-TW, it would make sense.  On the
other hand, it seems as if brazilian Portuguese can still be understood
easily by "normal" Portuguese speaking people (though on occasion it may
sound funny), while -- as I said, I /believe/ -- zh-TW may not be as
easily be understood by zh-whatever speaking people.

I don't think I like htdocs/pt-BR/ for aesthetics, though.

> > >   - Who works on zh-TW?
> >
> > Rui-Xiang Guo (rxg@ )
>
> So we could list him as the coordinator for zh-TW on the web page.
> And Bang Jun-Young for the Korean translation?

Yes, definitely.

> > hardly understand somebody speaking in another.  A quick google
> > indicates that there are at least seven major language groups.  I'd
> > assume that this should be enough to leave it as is, but if Rui-Xiang
> > (or anybody else with more insights) knows better, please let us
> > know.
>
> Then it seems necessary to use lang="zh-TW" in the /zh-TW/ branch.

Yes, that would be TRT, I think.

> Btw, according to RRC 3066, language codes use '-' and not '_' to
> separate subtags, so we need to change this in the pages (pt_BR) and in
> the directory structure (zh_TW).

I seem to remember there being a case where "_" is
used/recommended/required, but off the top of my head, I can't recall
it.  You're probably right.  Maybe I was confused by locales using "_".

Thanks for looking at this - obviously we need to clean up some of the
translations.

-Jan

--
I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.