Subject: Re: language names and character sets for web pages
To: None <netbsd-docs@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 11/06/2002 23:06:51
Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.nov.zwei@onlinehome.de> wrote:

> Spanish   : lang="es"	 charset=ISO-8859-1	???

I believe this should be ISO-8859-15 - as most (all?) ISO-8859-1's
should be to include the Euro etc.

> Several other questions still remain:
>
>   - Is anybody still working on a Czech translation?

Not to my knowledge.  It's been orphaned for quite a while, with
occasional updates/corrections to existing pages by Jaromir Dolecek
(IIRC).

>   - Is Brazilian Portuguese different enough from Portuguese to _need_
>     the language subtag '-BR'?
>     I only know this kind of differences between de-DE, de-AT and de-CH
>     where it _seems_ not to be necessary for our purposes.

I had asked Paulo the same question when I originally imported the
branch.  His answer led me to include "-BR" -- since it was given in a
private email, I'll not copy'n paste it here, but the differences seemed
at least as strong as the differences between de-DE and de-CH.

Rui-Xiang Guo (rxg@ )

>     Maybe I am a bit ignorant, so please forgive me if this is a silly
>     question: Couldn't it be 'zh' so it applies to all Chinese
>     speaking people in the world? I suppose there _is_ an official
>     Chinese language (I'm not so sure, thinking about the vast number of
>     people :-).

I don't know enough about this to speak with any authority, but I seem
to recall that there a LOT of "dialects", where speakers of one can
hardly understand somebody speaking in another.  A quick google
indicates that there are at least seven major language groups.  I'd
assume that this should be enough to leave it as is, but if Rui-Xiang
(or anybody else with more insights) knows better, please let us
know.

-Jan

--
Probability factor of one to one. We have normality. I repeat, we have
normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own lookout.