Subject: Re: makeindex.sh
To: None <netbsd-docs@netbsd.org, www@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 06/03/2002 15:55:58
Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org> wrote:
> As I understand, the scripts first read which are the current news on the
> index.html files and then compare those news with the ones in changes.html
> to see if there are old/new news.

Yes, this is how they work.  But obviously it's not, uhm, "ideal". ;-)

> If it works this way... why not simply forget what the page currently has
> and then, read proper news from each language and copy them into index.html?

Not every language
(a) has a <lang>/Changes/index.html page
(b) keeps <lang>/Changes/index.html as up to date as the main page

What we currently do is replace all news with the egnlish news -- people
who translate the news can then easily copy'n'paste the relevant links
from <lang>/Changes/index.html

> The other solution would be to use a db server... though this means,
> obviously, installing a db server ;-). With a bit of php this should be
> really easy.

Overkill, though.  IMHO, at least.

-Jan