Subject: Re: default copyright for docs?
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 05/29/2002 16:26:45
"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@wasabisystems.com> wrote:

> Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org> writes:

> > My question was, under what license/copyright do the man-pages etc.
> > fall.
>
> more /usr/src/bin/ls/ls.1
>
> .\"     $NetBSD: ls.1,v 1.33 2002/04/29 19:47:01 kleink Exp $
> .\"
> .\" Copyright (c) 1980, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994
> .\"     The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

> In other words, yes, everything is BSD licensed. Poke around a bit.

Well, the files in which it's explicitly mentioned are the obivous case.
My question was if there is a default copyright that applies if not
mentioned.  The reason I ask is that we have somebody from the LFS ask
www@ regarding using bindresvport.3, which has no copyright notice
whatsoever.

So if no copyright exists (cgd just confirmed to me that the original
from which he imported this file did not have any copyright notice
either), I assume we consider it public domain?

-Jan