Subject: Documentation; USD documentation directory.
To: None <netbsd-docs@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 03/09/2002 22:10:28
I thought that I'd take a peek at what eqn can do, tonight.

Regrettably, I find that the GNU eqn is only documented w.r.t. how it
differs from traditional UNIX eqn.  This makes it hard to use if one
doesn't know the traditional eqn.

A quick run of locate turned up the /usr/share/doc/usd/??.eqn*/
directories.  Alas, those directories are empty.

Is GNU (or traditional) eqn documented anywhere?  (I mean really
documented; not just relative to another program for which I have no
documentation.)

Failing that, is it possible to get the eqn documentation, now?  (Is that
included in the ``up through V7'' open-sourcing of UNIX by Caldera?  What
about the other vacated usd/psd documentation directories?  I've kind of
assumed that at least some of them are empty at least in part because of
the AT&T/BSD lawsuit years ago.)

Since GNU eqn is part of the groff system that we use for documentation,
it seems that we should have it documented properly.

(Honestly, this was just a quick poke at it.  I already know TeX
reasonably well, and TeX looks a great deal less like line-noise than the
cancel & box sample macros in the eqn man-page.  And I have some good
documentation on TeX handy.  But...it seems that there's a hole in our
documentation, and I thought that I'd post here about it.)