Subject: Re: a (very) brief Guide to Translating the website into German
To: None <netbsd-docs@netbsd.org>
From: Rainer Brandt <rjhb@bb-c.de>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 01/15/2002 14:37:29
Jan Schaumann wrote:

> > (Of course, this still is a pretty awkward phrase anyway, but I
> > realise that finding good translations is particularly hard in
> > technological documentation.)
>=20
> Agreed, it's awkward.  I will think about a better phrasing.
Don't think too hard ;-)
Sometimes it's better to go ahead and improve later.  Or let others
make suggestions.  The text wasn't too bad.

> > Regarding the HTML entities (&auml; etc):
[...]
> Correct.  But in this case, the proper encoding needs to be included =
(in
> the DOCTYPE?  I need to refresh my memory...).  I'll add something to=

> that extent to the guide as well.
For example:
<head>
  <title>encoding test</title>
-8859-1">
</head>

(That's what I uploaded to the W3C validator.  Unfortunately, most
clients don't know how to handle ISO-8859-15, which includes the
Euro symbol.)

Regarding German pronounciation rules:
Um, I think I was dreaming.  I guess you understood I was rambling
about spelling.

> I see people who are unwilling to make the transition to the new
> spelling rules as "stuck in the past", basically unwilling to change =
for
> the sake of not changing [...]
I disagree.
If things get worse, I'll always be happy to be "stuck in the past".

> words according to these new guidelines, and most publications such a=
> newspapers etc. do follow it, don't they?[1]
Most papers and magazines have created their own set of rules.  They
usually want exceptions for the most stupid of the new rules.  Also,
"the law" came with new punctuation rules.  These are generally being
ignored except by teachers (if and when they are teaching German).

Anyway, I think I'll end that discussion here.
(It won't lead to anything.  At least nothing useful.)

(We'll get back to the pronounciation rules when you start offering
audio files.  The server isn't sitting in Bavaria or Saxonia, is it?)

Rainer

Rainer J. H. Brandt                            email:     rjhb@bb-c.de
Brandt & Brandt Computer GmbH                  web:        www.bb-c.de
Voi=DFeler Stra=DFe 12a                            phone:  +49 2441 779=
891
D 53925 Kall                                   mobile: +49 172 9593205