Subject: HTML encoding
To: None <netbsd-docs@netbsd.org>
From: Rainer Brandt <rjhb@bb-c.de>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 12/04/2001 15:54:16
Hubert Feyrer and Jan Schaumann wrote:

HF> About Umlaute etc., I don't have a problem to use ISO 8859-1 (=E4, =
=F6,
HF> =FC) instead, but that's my personal opinion.

JS> In HTML they SHOULD be replaced with entities (or even MUST?) to co=
mply
JS> with w3's validator, IIRC.  Also, I, for example, don't have those =
keys
JS> on my keyboard ;-)

No.

You may use an encoding of your choice, provided the encoding is
correctly labeled.  See http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/charset.html
for HTML 4.01 (in particular, section 5.2.1).

For some encodings, character entity references (that's the thingies yo=
seem to refer to (&auml; and the like)) have been defined for your
convenience, and you _may_ use these.  Conforming clients are required
to convert these to the apropriate character entities.

(See also http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/entities.html, section 2.4.1)=

RFC 2854 does not contradict that.

Rainer J. H. Brandt

---
Rainer J. H. Brandt                                email:     rjhb@bb-c=
.de
Brandt & Brandt Computer GmbH                      web:        www.bb-c=
.de
Voi=DFeler Stra=DFe 12a                                phone:  +49 2441=
 777921
D-53925 Kall                                       mobile: +49 172 9593=
205