Subject: Re: [Netbsd-docs-ru] russian symbols in command promt
To: None <M.Sgibnev@transtk.ru>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@apk.od.ua>
List: netbsd-docs-ru
Date: 06/07/2004 12:49:50
On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 10:46:51 +0400
<M.Sgibnev@transtk.ru> wrote:

> Excuse for offtop. On the Internet there is no FAQ, how-to, etc.  how to
> write Russian symbols in command promt NetBSD. You do not know, how it to
> make or where to find the information?

For 1.6.x support of Russian (and any other "complex") language is not
complete. If you want edit your documents in wsconsole, this may be
troublesome. New uwscons which will supports just any language
(including multibyte chars and so on) and stills under developement, but
already partially commited to -current.

For wscons:

1) see wscons(4), wsconsctl(8), wsfontload(8), and man-pages at "SEE
   ALSO" section;

2) load russian font (the 80x2[45] screen mode doesn't worked for me on
   1.6.x, try out 80x50 instead), download it from FreeBSD site;

3) load russian keyboard map (/usr/share/wscons/keymaps/pckbd.ru.koi8-r);

4) Set "LC_CTYPE" variable to "ru_RU.KOI8-R" in your shell.

I'm personally use X Window for my day to day work. It works quite good
with all such things. But if you still want to try uwscons, this is a
mini HOWTO:

1) Install NetBSD-2.x or -current;

2) Get file named "koi8-r-8x16.fnt" from FreeBSD distribution; stored at
   the /usr/share/syscons/fonts directory.

3) Extract font file:

	uudecode -p < /path/to/koi8-r-8x16.fnt > /usr/share/wscons/fonts/koi8r.816

4) Add the following lines to /etc/wscons.conf file:

	font    koi8r   -       -       iso     /usr/share/wscons/fonts/koi8r.816
	mapfile /usr/share/wscons/keymaps/pckbd.ru.koi8-r

5) Reboot the system or run

	/etc/rc.d/wscons start

6) Set "LC_CTYPE" variable to "ru_RU.KOI8-R" in your shell.

7) Hold down "Caps Lock" key while typesetting Russian.

I think it is possible to hold mode switching, but I haven't used it
before and will take a look within nearest few days.

--
Mishka.