NetBSD-Bugs archive

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]

Re: kern/60814: Kernel build using existing /usr/tools fails with: "src/sys/dev/fdt/files.fdt:205: `fdt' is not a plain attribute"



The following reply was made to PR kern/60814; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alexander Schreiber <als%thangorodrim.ch@localhost>
To: gnats-bugs%netbsd.org@localhost
Cc: thorpej%netbsd.org@localhost, gnats-admin%netbsd.org@localhost, netbsd-bugs%netbsd.org@localhost
Subject: Re: kern/60814: Kernel build using existing /usr/tools fails with:
 "src/sys/dev/fdt/files.fdt:205: `fdt' is not a plain attribute"
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2026 22:45:59 +0200

 On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 08:30:02AM +0000, Martin Husemann via gnats wrote:
 > The following reply was made to PR kern/60814; it has been noted by GNATS.
 > 
 > From: Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost>
 > To: gnats-bugs%netbsd.org@localhost
 > Cc: 
 > Subject: Re: kern/60814: Kernel build using existing /usr/tools fails with:
 >  "src/sys/dev/fdt/files.fdt:205: `fdt' is not a plain attribute"
 > Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2026 10:28:36 +0200
 > 
 >  On Sun, Sep 27, 2026 at 07:45:01PM +0000, als%thangorodrim.ch@localhost via gnats wrote:
 >  > Build GENERIC kernel from HEAD/20260927052045Z snapshot fails with:
 >  
 >  I have seen simmilar fallout when trying to build with tools from the
 >  wrong branch.
 >  
 >  Just to make sure: you used a -current tools build to configure the
 >  current (HEAD) kernel? Using a 11.0 tools build would not work (and
 >  is not supposed to).
 
 Not knowing any better, I used 11.0 RELEASE tools, essentially following 
  https://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-updating.html
  "35.1.2. Building a new kernel":
 
 $ cd /usr/src
 $ ./build.sh -O ../obj -T ../tools -U distribution
 
 but modified to
 $ cd /usr/build/HEAD/${TIMESTAMP}/usr/src
 $ ./build.sh -O ../obj -T /usr/tools -U distribution
 
 Dug around the docs a little more, found 
  https://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-kernel.html
  "34.5. Building the kernel using build.sh"
 
 $ cd /usr/src
 $ ./build.sh kernel=MYKERNEL
 
 modified to
 $ cd /usr/build/HEAD/${TIMESTAMP}/usr/src
 $ ./build.sh kernel=MYKERNEL
 
 and that pretty quickly points out that it does indeed need new tools and
 that I should just run "./build.sh tools" to get this done - after which the
 kernel build works fine. 
 
 So I guess I looked at the wrong corner of the docs, aka "operator error".
 
 Maybe some more ... foolproofing of the docs would be helpful ;-)
 
 Although I suspect my specific use case of "I dug up this machine, noticed
 NetBSD now somewhat works on it, and want to find any remaining breakages
 so they can be fixed ... all while not being a NetBSD developer (and thus
 lacking some helpful experience" is not exactly common.
 
 Kind regards,
            Alex.
 -- 
 "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and
  looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison
 



Home | Main Index | Thread Index | Old Index