NetBSD-Announce archive

Announcing NetBSD 5.0.1

On behalf of the NetBSD developers, I am pleased to announce that
NetBSD 5.0.1 is now available for download.  NetBSD 5.0.1 is the first
security/critical update of the NetBSD 5.0 release branch. It represents
a selected subset of fixes deemed critical in nature for security or
stability reasons.  All users are encouraged to upgrade.

Please note that due to changes in pkg_install, users upgrading from
previous releases are strongly encouraged to run "pkg_admin rebuild"
after the upgrade is complete.

For full details, please see the release notes at:

    http://www.NetBSD.org/releases/formal-5/NetBSD-5.0.1.html

ISO images can be downloaded using BitTorrent, and we encourage users
who wish to install via ISO images to take advantage of this, as the
images are well seeded.

    http://www.NetBSD.org/mirrors/torrents/

Complete source and binaries for NetBSD 5.0.1 are available for download
at many sites around the world. A list of download sites providing FTP,
AnonCVS, and other services may be found at:

    http://www.NetBSD.org/mirrors/

We are very grateful to all of those who donated during the 2007 fund
drive, which brought us many of the great advances made in the last two
years.  We would like to remind everyone that we are in the middle of
a fund drive with a target of 60,000 USD by the end of the year.  For
more information on how you can help NetBSD reach this goal, see

    http://www.NetBSD.org/donations/

The NetBSD Foundation would like to thank all those who have
contributed code, hardware, documentation, funds, colocation for our
servers, web pages and other documentation, release engineering, and
other resources over the years. More information on the people who
make NetBSD happen is available at:

    http://www.NetBSD.org/people/

We would like to especially thank the University of California at
Berkeley and the GNU Project for particularly large subsets of code
that we use. We would also like to thank the Internet Systems
Consortium Inc., the Network Security Lab at Columbia University's
Computer Science Department, and Ludd (Luleaa Academic Computer
Society) computer society at Luleaa University of Technology for
current colocation services.