Subject: Summary of Changes to the NetBSD Packages Collection in September 2001
To: None <netbsd-announce@netbsd.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-announce
Date: 10/01/2001 18:50:08
Summary of Changes to the NetBSD Packages Collection in September 2001

By my calculations, there were 2425 packages in the Packages
Collection on October 1st 2001, up from 2372 the previous month.

The packages collection is 4 years old in October, and I would just
like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has helped us
over the years.

I'd also like to welcome two new developers who have come on board -
Martti Kuparinen and Stoned Elipot - to help us enhance and expand
pkgsrc.

We've made some changes to the infrastructure:  NO_WRKSUBDIR has gone,
"make package" has had just-in-time su(1) added to it, just like "make
install" and "make deinstall", and mk.conf.defaults has had a name
change and become bsd.pkg.defaults.mk, and is now included as part of
the pkgsrc build process, so that defaults are set, and only
differences from the defaults need to be set in /etc/mk.conf.

Notable additions to the packages collection include:  aalib,
bidwatcher, cvsup-gui, dot-forward,doxygen, exctags, ezmlm,
fastforward, macfork, mplex, mscompress, various perl5 utilities,
publicfile, reed, robodoc, SDL-mixer, storage-manager, tcl-expat,
tcpslice, tkirc, vcdimager, xmess and xnc.

Notable updates to packages include:  adzap, amavis, ap-dtcl, arena,
bind9-current, boehm-gc, cascade, cpuflags, crafty, cue, curl, cvsup,
cyrus-imapd, delegate, drscheme, esound, evolution, fetchmail (thanks,
Thorsten), gaim, gal, galeon, gdk-pixbuf, gkrellm, gnome-libs,
gnucash, gtkhtml, ImageMagick, jade, jadetex, jed, kakasi, kdebase2,
kdelibs2, lesstif, libxml, libxml2, mew, mozilla, mutt-devel, namazu2,
napshare, netbsd-doc, openslp, openssh, various perl5 utilities, pen,
perl5, pkgchk, pkgdiff, pkglint, pkg_tarup (with thanks to Hubert for
a utility wthout which I'd be lost), popa3d, postgresql and related
packages, prcs, py-Numeric, qident, qmail-conf, rrdtool, SDL,
sendmail, smtpfeed, sun-jdk, sun-jre (thanks, Johnny), suse_base,
swarm, tcsh, tkcvs, unison, ups-nut, uvscan-dat, vim-devel, x11-links,
xchat, xmame, and xmindpath.

Package of the Month award goes to fxtv and xmradio, nominated by
"Jared D. McNeill" <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>:

	"I think that pkgsrc/graphics/fxtv and pkgsrc/audio/xmradio
	should be co-packages of the month for September.  It was a
	great pleasure to install them and have them "just work" with
	my new Brooktree card.  It's rare to see software this robust
	and easy to configure (even full-screen mode wasn't a problem
	with fxtv)."

Here's to the next four years...

Alistair G. Crooks
Mon Oct  1 08:55:51 BST 2001