To: None <netbsd-announce@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Charles Hannum <Charles-Hannum@deshaw.com>
List: netbsd-announce
Date: 10/04/1995 15:04:52
As the NetBSD project spreads, many sites are installing mail-to-news
gateways for our mailing lists.  Most of these are private, and we
neither know nor particularly care about them.  Unfortunately, when an
internet provider does this, it becomes very easy for those groups,
and thus our mailing lists, to be spammed by the likes of CyberSell
and similar organizations.

Typically, on USENET these spammings are cancelled within 30 minutes
or so of their posting.  Once they have been gatewayed to mailing
lists, however, they cannot be cancelled.  One way to alleviate some
of the problem is for such gateways to delay forwarding for some
period of time, to give the cancellations time to filter through;
unfortunately, few administrators do this.

While we are rather unhappy about our mailing lists being spammed
periodically, it really is not possible to avoid it without making all
of the lists moderated -- and that would be even less acceptable.  So,
please bear with us, and hope that these anti-social organizations
will some day get a clue.