Subject: Ann: bsddip 1.02 -- dialup IP handler
To: None <netbsd-announce@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Joachim Bartz <injb@verleihnix.rz.tu-clausthal.de>
List: netbsd-announce
Date: 07/05/1995 17:26:35
bsddip 1.02  is now available.
===========

What is bsddip?
---------------
DIP is  mainly a tool to establish SLIP connections.  It handles all
the necessary actions to set up the tty port and the modem, dial out
and finally build up a SLIP connection  between the tty port and the
kernel.  To do so, dip offers an own very simple command language (a
mostly complete description can be found in the man page).

Dip can handle both incoming and outgoing connections using password
security for incoming connections.

Changes to bsddip 1.01
----------------------
In this second public version 1.02 bsddip watches the carrier and is
able to cause a redial and reconnect if the modem carrier is lost.
Some people asked me to build in this feature.

For what systems is it?
-----------------------
Bsddip  was ported from  Linux to NetBSD,  although it will work  on
other BSDish systems as well.

Where can I find it?
--------------------
It can be found at this site:
    ftp.tu-clausthal.de    in    /pub/unix/tuc

Filenames:
    bsddip-1.02.ReadMe		( 6455 Bytes)
    bsddip-1.02.tar.Z		(78191 Bytes)

Note:  This is only a small  system and so very limited.  Only a few
       users are allowed  at the same time.  Sorry.  So, please dis-
       tribute the software to other ftp servers.  Thanks!

It is also possible,  to request files  via the Mail-Server. Mail to
'mail-server@ftp.tu-clausthal.de'.  To get help about  this services
send  a mail,  containing  the keyword  'HELP'  in  the body  of the
message. Other keywords are 'SEND HELP' (detailed help) and 'INDEX'.

And there is a third way: FSP.
    FSP_HOST 139.174.2.10
    FSP_PORT 21
    FSP_DIR  /pub/unix/tuc

And if all these ways fail:  Write me a message and  I'll send you a
copy (uudecoded).

Joachim Bartz

Joachim Bartz			A person with one watch knows what time it is;
injb@sun.rz.tu-clausthal.de	a person with two watches is never sure.