NetBSD-Advocacy archive

The God, the Devil and the NetBSD.

I think you don't understand why the daemon was chosen.  Read
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_Daemon for lots more information.
Background services in Unix speak are refered to as "daemons."  To quote
from Wikipedia

"Daemons are also characters in Greek mythology, some of whom handled tasks
that the gods could not be bothered with, much as computer daemons often
handle tasks in the background that the user cannot be bothered with."

The spelling in English of "daemon" with the 'ae' makes it distinct from the
more malevolent "demon" which lacks the 'a'.  The first is a Greek
mythological entity that was seen as good while the later is the devil and
so on that your refering to.  Two very different concepts.  Pronunciation is
also different.  Also read
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon_(computer_software) for more
information.  The image of a cutesy devil is a pun.

I'm not sure if this is the Lithuanian version (country code .lt?) but you
can also read this http://lt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon.  I thought Lithuania
was a mostly Orthodox country.  But even Russian has Catholics.  :-)

"If it had not been for the discontent of a few who had not been satisfied
with their condition we would still be living in caves.  Intelligent
discontent is the mainspring of civilization."
~~Eugene V. Debs

----- Original Message ----- From: "E.J. Novikovas" <clm%tdd.lt@localhost>