Subject: Article: Linux versus Windows: OS impact on uptime and speed
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 05/01/2007 03:32:21
http://blog.mon.itor.us//?p=286

From the article: ``There are many factors which affect Website
availability and performance from end user perspective, namely ISP
Internet connection, server location, server parameters, programming
language, application architecture and implementation. One of the critical
parameters is a selected Operational System (OS). Most users often need to
select between Linux and Windows, two popular choices for web servers. By
providing free monitoring service, we at mon.itor.us collected large
amount of data to perform a unique analytical research examining OS
correlation with uptime and performance.

Summarizing, statistically Linux based servers provide better availability
and response speed than Windows servers. Absolute leader is NetBSD in both
categories; OpenBSD and Solaris also demonstrate good results.

We hope this data will be valuable for our community in their hosting
selection process.''

See the article for details, and enjoy!

  - Hubert