Subject: Xen screenshots
To: None <port-xen@netbsd.org>
From: Magnus Eriksson <magetoo@fastmail.fm>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 07/07/2006 18:34:54
   I was looking at the Xen site today, and it struck me how lousy NetBSD
looks in the (few) screenshots available.  The only image showing it has
it in a quarter of the screen, along with three more or less flashy
Linux distros, with NetBSD being represented by a text only console
login.

   And that image is on Wikipedia too, with the info page mentioning that
"This is a screenshot of copyrighted computer software *for Linux*".

   Hubert Feyrer's screenshot on netbsd.org/gallery is a little better
(from our viewpoint), but not by much.  (Sorry.)

So here's my suggestion:

   It would seem that this is a perfect opportunity to show off what we can
do.  It would be nice to see a domain0 running on NetBSD, with perhaps
Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD and something else in the screenshot.  Preferably
each OS doing more than displaying the output of "uname -a"...

   And for extra credit, try to show off the Linux emulation.  I run Opera
for Linux, for example.  Just showing its "about" page would do the trick.
And the Linux installation might as well be running something inside qemu.
Go crazy.  Have some nested Plan9 desktops too.

  (And remember that you can't make it much larger than, say, 1024x768 if
you want people to actually look at it.)

MAgnus