Subject: Re: Wiki shutdown
To: None <jefbed@netbsd.org, netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: asemisldkfj <asemisldkfj@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/13/2006 11:44:47
antiright@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 08:32:46AM +0200, Magnus Eriksson wrote:
>> On Sat, 8 Apr 2006, Zafer Aydogan wrote:
>>
>>> I just wanted to inform you, that the Wiki Service at wiki.onetbsd.org
>>> will be shut down in the next couple of weeks, due to inactivity of
>>> it's users.
>>   Would it be a lot of work just keeping it running?  It seems like such a
>> shame just to close it down.
>>

>>> My dream of an evolving database with useful information didn't worked out.
>>   Maybe I'm missing the point somehow ... but what's the problem?  It's up
>> and running, after all.  It's not going to start rusting away, is it?
>> MAgnus
>
> I would have to agree.  It seems unnecessarily destructive to just shut it down.
> If it is up and running, and not costing you extra money, the status quo is attractive.
> It is well designed, and contributions are being made, albeit slowly.
> So, my suggestion is that time will make up for the slow contribution rate in
> increasing the content quantity.

Wikis are a huge pain to keep up and running.  To sit around and have to
keep restoring the wiki to its previous state when spam bots and stuff
deface it is a huge pain, especially if no one is using the wiki.  And
no, registration doesn't help with this, it still happens.  The only
alternative to shutting it down I see is making it uneditable until
someone is willing to maintain it or actually contribute, which kind of
makes it not a wiki.

-Brian