Subject: Re: NetBSD booth at LinuxWorld Boston?
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Asemi <asemisldkfj@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/24/2006 13:50:11
Jan Schaumann wrote:
> Brian Asemi <asemisldkfj@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Does anyone know what our next step is, now that we have at least a few
>>> people interested in making this booth happen?  Because I have off-site
>>> training from Tuesday to the Friday of that week, at best I can only be
>>> there Monday morning to help set up.  But I can coordinate logistics and
>>> planning during the time leading up to that conference, and talk to the
>>> right people to make sure that things get done when they need to be.
>>>
>>> There is a checklist on that conference site that I will take a look at to
>>> see what needs to get done.  It sounds like we will also need some money.
>>> Does anyone know how we can get some official NetBSD funding for this
>>> event?
>
>> I talked to a woman on the phone about it and she said the minimum size
>> for a booth is 100 square feet, at 50 dollars per square foot, which is
>> five thousand dollars...A friend of mine suggested I ask them if they
>> have booths available for non-profit groups, because a lot of the booths
>> are for companies like Novell and stuff.
>
> Yes, LinuxWorld does make booths available at no cost to open source
> organizations.  They do come with certain requirements, however, such as
> that the booth needs to be staffed at all hours of the expo.  We have
> done this before at other events, but we usually try to get at least one
> developer onboard and committed to the event before we try to sign up
> for a booth.  It may also be too late to still qualify for a free booth,
> but I don't know that.
>
> However, if you are willing to organize the whole booth by yourself and
> want to take responsibility, please send an email to
> communication-exec@netbsd.org and we'll try to help you and get some
> NetBSD merchandise to Boston.
>
> -Jan

Thanks for the e-mail, Jan.  I'm still in the process of getting in
contact with a bunch of people.  Next time I talk with the organizers I
spoke with today I'll let them know that NetBSD is an open source,
non-commercial product.  Once I confirm anything, I'll send that e-mail
to communication-exec.

Thanks again,
Brian