Subject: Re: NetBSD Community Wiki - first month summary
To: Zafer Aydogan <zafer.aydogan@googlemail.com>
From: Matthias Petermann <matthias.petermann@bsd-crew.de>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/07/2006 07:59:50
Hi,

Zafer Aydogan wrote:
> The point is, that I don't think that the NetBSD Guide is any good. It
> needs a total remake, in my opinion. That's why I started
> incorporating the FreeBSD Documentation. It is very good. It just has
> to be adopted to NetBSD.

I don't think so. The NetBSD Guide is a good starting point for
people that already are familiar with Unix in common - I learnt a
lot with this. Contributing patches to the existing documentation
would be more helpful than maintain a separate documentation instance
anywhere (my opinion).

> I would like to create a Documentation which will be better than the
> Guide. That's my purpose at least. And the process would be easier.
> For example, there are no plain PDF's on the NetBSD Website (only a
> gzipped Version). And most of the time the formats (.ps, .pdf) are not
> in sync with the online Version.

Sorry but these are no real reasons for starting a whole new
documentation in my eyes.

> Because contributing to htdocs is a pain at the moment. (html vs. xml).
> I would like to set up a new Documentation. That's all. It is based on
> the FreeBSD Handbook and needs to be adopted.

But a Wiki raises problems if you want to build a PDF version of
the content in an automated way.

> Any Germans ?
> The other point is, that there is no German translation of the Guide.
> The wiki could be translated into german.

Why should this be easier that translating the Guide?

> Only a shortguide from Anno 1.5.x. When trying to translate the Guide
> into German a while ago, I noticed that the Guide needs a total
> remake. It's outdated and insufficient (in my opinion).

Kind regards
Matthias

--
 Matthias Petermann | mailto: matthias.petermann@bsd-crew.de | NetBSD