Subject: Re: NetBSD Community Wiki - first month summary
To: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
From: Zafer Aydogan <zafer.aydogan@googlemail.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/07/2006 00:17:13
2006/2/6, Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>:
> > Zafer Aydogan wrote:
> > >This is very incomplete aswell. And last but not least there is a new
> > >approach to create a Documentation Handbook called  "The NetBSD
> > >Handbook". Some may see this redudant referring to the NetBSD Guide, b=
ut
> > >the Handbook should be a new Ressource written from scratch and not
> > >based on the Guide.
>
> Let's be fair -- The_NetBSD_Handbook is clearly a rip-off of The FreeBSD
> Handbook

True.

>  Even after a careful
> "s,FreeBSD,NetBSD,g" and "s,/usr/ports,/usr/pkgsrc,g", it contains a lot =
of
> information not relevant or applicable to NetBSD.

It has to be updated. It's a wiki and it's new and not finished yet.

 > improvements/additions to the NetBSD documentation, the best way is real=
ly
> to send your texts to www@NetBSD.org, so they can incorporate it in the
> Guide or elsewhere in the official NetBSD documentation (given that the
> provided texts are correct -- unlike some of the Howto's on the wiki).

I've sent a lot to www (but mostly not regarding the Guide).
The point is, that I don't think that the NetBSD Guide is any good. It
needs a total remake, in my opinion. That's why I started
incorporating the FreeBSD Documentation. It is very good. It just has
to be adopted to NetBSD.
To make it clear, the wiki does not contain any official NetBSD Documentati=
on.
I would like to create a Documentation which will be better than the
Guide. That's my purpose at least. And the process would be easier.

For example, there are no plain PDF's on the NetBSD Website (only a
gzipped Version). And most of the time the formats (.ps, .pdf) are not
in sync with the online Version.
Etc. pp. and I guess Jan Schauma is on the way trying to simplify the
whole htdocs process. This includes especially, what you suggest
(contributing to www).
Because contributing to htdocs is a pain at the moment. (html vs. xml).
I would like to set up a new Documentation. That's all. It is based on
the FreeBSD Handbook and needs to be adopted.

Any Germans ?
The other point is, that there is no German translation of the Guide.
The wiki could be translated into german.
Only a shortguide from Anno 1.5.x. When trying to translate the Guide
into German a while ago, I noticed that the Guide needs a total
remake. It's outdated and insufficient (in my opinion).

Cheers, Zafer.