Subject: Re: WIKIs for the ports pages on netbsd.org
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/31/2005 20:43:56
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, Rubin wrote:
>> Anyway, just my 5 cents, I think it would really improve
>> people's experience with getting started AND involved with
>> NetBSD.
>
> Basically, I think everyone can open a wiki and put all the documentation
> they find useful (think "bazaar" :). Personally, I'm a but concerned about
> maintenance, but that's a general problem of documentation, noe one
> particularly better or worse with wikis over what else is there.
>
> Why not get going, and the see where it leads to? In the worst case it's a
> lot better than what we have on www.NetBSD.org and we'll link to it or (if
> permitted) include it into htdocs. :-)

 	A wiki significantly reduces the barrier to contributing to
 	documentation, and works very well for _some_ areas. Ideally
 	it works as an adjunct to a main set of documentation and or
 	guides. It can serve as a source of both information and
 	contributers to pull across into a more formal set of docs,
 	thought there are areas best left in a wiki.

 	I would support linking to one from the main site and poentially
 	each port page.

 	So... who wants to set one up?