Subject: Re: Site Redesign
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel de Kok <danieldk@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/30/2005 20:52:59
Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> Basically, I think everyone can open a wiki and put all the documentation
> they find useful (think "bazaar" :). Personally, I'm a but concerned about
> maintenance, but that's a general problem of documentation, noe one
> particularly better or worse with wikis over what else is there.

I have two problems with a wiki:

- Quality control. The www team will have to moderate information actively,
  both to preserve quality of content and to maintain consistency.
- Copyright control. Basically everyone can paste information in a wiki,
  and there is no way to check whether that person really wrote it.

As far as I am concerned, there is nothing wrong with out current
set-up. Everyone is encouraged to send patches for the documentation
and the website, and the WWW team usually accepts patches if the quality
is good. The advantage is that we can turn down patches, if we think
that it is a bad change.

While it may not appear like that on the surface, writing and maintaining
documentation is a craft, as much as writing code. And I think many people
disklike the idea of giving every soul on the net the rights to change the
NetBSD code.

To wrap it up: if you thing there is content-rot somewhere, please submit
patches!

-- Daniel