Subject: Re: Site Redesign
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Mondor <mm_lists@pulsar-zone.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/28/2005 23:48:56
On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 15:42:26 -0800 (PST)
Jennifer Davis <sigje@sigje.org> wrote:

> Shrink the logo so that it's standard size.. it's using a bunch of
real
> estate that could be better used elsewhere.  (I know it's the same
size as
> on the current site).  Languages and Platforms could shrink into a
scroll
> window that people could pick from.

I also find that the logo size should be reduced, in the current site,
but also in the designs which Jacek and Kevin proposed.  The logo is
clear, and its (sorry, but ugly IMO) colors make it too visible, it
would definitely remain as noticeable if it was smaller, while leaving
more room for the important stuff.  We can perhaps make the logo a link
to the official logos page anyway, which does have very large ones :)) I
think that what contributes to such loss of room with the current large
logo also has to do with the fact that it fits into a square rather than
a rectangle, but we can't change this.

Kevin:

I personally find that the headers (and the links) take up too much
vertical space.  However, the layout seems to adapt well to various
resolutions (as low as 640 pixels width), which is nice.  I haven't
checked with lynx, w3c and links yet.

I also would merge back the "major architectures" and the other ones.
The essence of the netbsd project is to not favor any particular ones.
Of course, some more arcane architectures do have less users and hence
less support, but they are not generally considered less important by
the netbsd developers (contrary to other BSD projects with a priority on
certain ports).

Possibly that it could be confusing for a nontechnical user to know
which port to download for his machine, though.  Considering the recent
work to advertize NetBSD more mainstream, it could eventually become an
issue (the majority of NetBSD users probably have the necessary
background to choose the appropriate port, though).  However, we almost
mention the mainstream architectures in the first sentence with links to
them.  Perhaps that reformulating it, or adding a second sentence to
complete it would do.

Oh, I recommend to also add the new official "Powered by NetBSD" logo
somewhere :)

Thanks for taking the time to propose an alternative layout,
Matt

--
Note: Please only reply on the list, other mail is blocked by default.
Private messages from your address can be allowed by first asking.