Subject: Re: WIKIs for the ports pages on netbsd.org
To: Rubin <rubin@xs4all.nl>
From: Ben Collver <collver@peak.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/28/2005 09:32:58
> That's right, people could join up the mailinglists, choosing various
> ones matching their specific interrests in NetBSD (I'm on ports-macppc,
> ports-playstation2, netbsd-advocacy), but I think that most people will
> only do so AFTER they got interrested and at least started with a
> blinking NetBSD login prompt before them.

These people who can't be bothered to click search on the mailing list
archives, are they the same people who will do a better job of managing
the web site once enabled by the power of wiki?

The scenario that someone starts out with a playstation2 and uses it to
get interested in NetBSD seems unlikely.  From what I read, the hardware
is so slow and there are enough proprietary parts that it is only a
curiosity for hackers.

> Imagine yourself a fledgeling NetBSD user-to-be, visiting netbsd.org for
> the first time and lets assume you have moderate knowledge of UNIX
> systems. Suppose you'd like to get NetBSD or anything resembling a good
> UNIX working on your old style mac. In my opinion, the current port
> specific pages turn you off. It is not imidiately clear where to get the
> software, it is not clear which version is known to work (Going by the
> title page, you'd think 3.0, but that's not often the case on other hw
> platforms) and all in all it looks unmaintained and rather desolate;
> you'd think that maybe nobody is using this nowadays (My feelings after
> trying to boot 2.1, then 2.0.2, then 2.0.1 and finally 1.6.2 on a Beige
> G3! Offtopic: In 2.x the SCSI driver fails to continue during the 2
> second reset, works in 1.6.).

Going to the macppc port page, the only download link I see is
"NetBSD/macppc 3.0 via FTP".  What is unclear about that?

If the user will not read the list of supported models, then what can be
done?  A casual browse of the web site reveals:

``Apple PowerMacintosh G3 (Beige G3, Revision 2, Open Firmware 2.4)
  This model is notoriously difficult to boot.''
  -- http://netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/models.html#g3v2

It does not surprise me that you ran into trouble.  It might be worth
adding another item to the notes for that model.

Ben