Subject: Re: Website design proposal
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/20/2005 15:15:53
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, John Nemeth wrote:

> }      * Information of lesser importance to new visitors, such as how many
> }      different languages our web site is available in, is hidden (by putting
> }      it in a dropdown). Yet the fact that other languages are available is
> }      still quite clear.
>
>     To a new visitor that isn't a native speaker of English, this
> could be the single most important thing.  It really should be right up
> front.

It was right up front. It just wasn't taking up a lot of space.

My point was, that the two things (website languages and ports) are
used quite differently.

People don't tend to care a lot about how many langages the NetBSD web
site has been translated into; it's not a big selling point. So we need
spend screen real-estate and user attention to say only that it has been
translated; they'll go and look further if they want to.

On the other hand, that we're the most widely ported OS in the world is
a big selling point; it's one of our main brags. Thus, listing all the
ports individual on the top page serves a nice marketing function: it
makes users instantly get an idea of just how many ports we have ("way
more than can be easily counted when they're all listed out").

cjs
--
Curt Sampson        <cjs@cynic.net>         +81 90 7737 2974
   Make up enjoying your city life...produced by BIC CAMERA