Subject: Re: Website design proposal
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/17/2005 21:32:57
On 2005-10-17 feyrer@cs.stevens.edu wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Matthew Orgass wrote:
> >  "Permission to use and/or modify this image is granted provided you
> > acknowledge me lewing@isc.tamu.edu and The GIMP if someone asks."
>
> I.e. we don't have to do anything, or at best put it into a comment on the
> webpage?

  A comment at the bottom of the copyright page would probably be the
easiest way to make sure www knows what to say if someone asks.  There is
no mention of context-of-use restrictions or any other restriction.

On 2005-10-17 jschauma@netmeister.org wrote:
> I don't want to have a penguin on the home page.  This will just lead to
> more confusion and make users believe that NetBSD is a Linux ``distro''
> (*shudder*).

  I don't think having Tux in this context would increase confusion; it
may actually help since drawing attention to the fact that NetBSD
"emulates" Linux should make it obvious that NetBSD is not Linux.

On 2005-10-17 ghen@telenet.be wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 10:47:01PM -0400, Matthew Orgass wrote:
> > * I don't like the extra header at the top or the overall boxing.  I don't
> > think the NetBSD logo needs to be repeated.
>
> The top box is the title of each web-page, look at the example for the
> guide: http://manta.univ.gda.pl/~jkutzman/netbsd/site/1112handbook.gif .

  Yeah, that page I really don't like, particularly if the intention is to
trim text to what someone thinks is a single page.  The side bar is not
necessary if header and footer with links to the home page are used.  The
text of the sidebar is rather long for putting it everywhere.

> I don't think it's a problem the NetBSD logo appears twice on the homepage.
> The top one is smaller, appearing on every page (which is good), and the
> larger one, well, is larger because it's on the homepage :-) and it doesn't
> break consistency with the other pages.

  Adding a logo that links back to the home page to the top of other pages
would be fine, but there is no reason to do that to the home page itself.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@city-net.com