Subject: Re: Website design proposal
To: None <netbsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/15/2005 01:56:34
Dieter wrote:
> Gavan> "How to get NetBSD" is too long-winded, and implies that it's going to be difficult.
>
> Four words is too long-winded?  Given that there are other methods besides
> download (e.g. order CDs), "How to get NetBSD" is more accurate than
> "Download NetBSD".

"How to get NetBSD" implies there's a page behind it with instructions.

"Get NetBSD", or "Download NetBSD", or virtually anything else that's in
the imperative form implies that it much, much easier. It doesn't *have*
to mention NetBSD. "Download Now" could also work, although that is
starting to sound too much like marketroid speak.

> Herb> When I'm trying to fix or install  something and go to a web-page;
> Herb> my visual pattern matcher is looking  for specific patterns in the
> Herb> form of words.  So it's looking for the  word "Download"
>
> Perhaps something like:
>
> 	How to get NetBSD	(Heading)
> 	    Download		(link to a page explaining how to download)
> 	    Buy CDs		(link to a page explaining how to order CDs)

I like this.

> Gavan> Currently we have the languages listed on the front page in a form
> Gavan> where a non-English speaker can instantly see a single recognisable
> Gavan> word on the page - the name of their language.
>
> Many web sites use very small country flags for this.

As long as the alt tags are appropriately set up for non-graphical
browsers, and we can avoid the graphical content increasing the page
load time too much, I'm all for this.

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget