Subject: Re: Website design proposal
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.org>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/14/2005 12:52:55
On 14-Oct-05, at 11:54 AM, Gavan Fantom wrote:
> "Download" on the other hand is something I agree with entirely. In
> today's environment, "How to get NetBSD" is too long-winded, and
> implies that it's going to be difficult. "Get NetBSD" is shorter,
> snappier and is a command. I would be happy with "Get NetBSD",
> "Download NetBSD", or just "Download", with a preference to the
> former.

I think you miss my point.  When I'm trying to fix or install
something and go to a web-page; my visual pattern matcher is looking
for specific patterns in the form of words.  So it's looking for the
word "Download", or the word "Support" or the word "Products".  "Get
NetBSD" is still incompatible.  "Download NetBSD" might be good
enough.  But people already know they're at the NetBSD web-page, so
there's no point telling them that they can download it.  It's not
like we have other "Download" categories.  So in that case, "NetBSD"
is just clutter.