Subject: Re: NetBSD toaster on slashdot.org (was Re: NetBSD toaster at theinquirer.co.uk)
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Jesse Off <joff@embeddedARM.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 08/12/2005 12:46:01
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Jesse Off wrote:
>> FWIW, our website is being served up using the same board as in the
>> toaster. Apache is configured for 30 simultaneous connections (which all
>> are full) and the load average is 0.3 and the system remains very
>> responsive via ssh. As we had suspected, we're limited 100% by bandwidth
>> and not by NetBSD or the TS-7200 board.
>
> So you can still make toast while you're getting toast^Wslashdotted?

Indeed, and even play internet radio MP3 for the office at the same time.
;-)

Contrary to popular belief, it really doesn't take a lot of horsepower to
handle a slashdotting, just a lot of bandwidth (unless you've got
dynamically generated content).  For fun, we've extrapolated that we would
have needed about 7Mbps of bandwidth ($3000-$10000 per month) before we
started reaching the limits of the single 200Mhz / 32MB TS7200 board running
NetBSD/Apache 1.3 at http://www.embeddedARM.com during the slashdotting.
If we had to be able to saturate a larger pipe, we'd just use multiple
TS-7200's since they're really not that expensive (esp. for us) and I could
skip the RAID, large UPS's, air conditioners, noise, and large electric
bill.

In any case, NetBSD survived.  Not too bad, and this was using a NetBSD 3.0
beta kernel.

//Jesse Off