Subject: NetBSD on Linuxtag 2005
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@rvs.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 07/27/2005 22:55:10
NetBSD on LinuxTag 2005
=======================

As in previous years, BSD was present at the LinuxTag 2005, one of
the worlds biggest events on Open Source and Free Software.

There was a common BSD booth this time for OpenBSD, FreeBSD and
NetBSD.  OpenBSD occupied the big centre counter with Wim Vandeputte's
traditional fashion bazaar, flanked by NetBSD on one, and FreeBSD
on the other side.

As is tradition, NetBSD presented various unusual hardware running
NetBSD, offered books, CPU badges, pins, CD-ROMs and T-Shirts, and
was always open to questions. From the oft-heard "what's the
difference"- questions to more technically specific things like
journalling file systems, support for wireless LAN cards and various
problems installing NetBSD on old hardware (Macintosh, HP), we
tried to answer as best we could.

Due to a lack of manpower, among other things, there were no
presentations and/or talks on NetBSD this year, and the NetBSD
booth staff was minimal.  Since, unfortunately, neither Daniel
Ettle nor Hubert Feyrer could attend personally, Bernd "bapf" Stapf
came from Munich to bring the merchandise boxes and posters.
Petra Zeidler made a great new banner with the new logo
(even bigger than the famous OpenBSD posters), thanks a lot.

Bernd Stapf could only attend the first day, and brought an Apple
Notebook, Jochen Kunz was there Thursday through Saturday, and
brought a Sun Ultra 1. I (Bernd Sieker) was there all days and
brought a Sun SPARCstation 20 (Dual-CPU), a Tadpole SPARCbook, and
the IBM WorkPad z50 (hpcmips). It was the first time that the NetBSD
booth was completely without any i386 hardware.

Although this year we were in the Stadthalle (where the auditoriums
are) instead of the Gartenhalle (where most of the fair was), but
we still got a lot of attention, not significantly less than in
previous years, when we were on the main fair grounds. The Stadthalle
had another big advantage, its air-conditioning was much more
powerfull, and so we had very comfortable environment, while everyone
else in the Gartenhalle was sweating at 37 degrees in the shade.

Jochen and me also brought our medium format photo equipment (no
piece of which runs NetBSD, or even has a CPU), some results of
which you can see on the picture web site:
  http://nuxi.homeunix.org/album/messen/LinuxTag-2005/

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD is full. Go away.