Subject: Re: Unfindable 4.4 BSD documentation under /usr/share/doc NOR in
To: Alexandre Hauguel <alexandre.hauguel@laposte.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 06/25/2005 07:21:43
On Sat, 25 Jun 2005, Alexandre Hauguel wrote:

> I just wanted to find good 4.4 bsd documentation - regarding sendmail for
> example. So I pointed under /usr/share/doc/* and I saw that a lot of
> directories where I must find good documentation were empty !! Though I find
> some..
>
> So I asked in the chat why and they told me to untar misc.tgz to recover the
> files but misc.tgz did not contain the documentation missing..

What specific file is missing?

Do you have ./usr/share/doc/smm/08.sendmailop/op.me?
or ./usr/share/sendmail/README?

> It appears there were legal issues between bsd and at&t - could it be the
> reason why these "official" 4.4 bsd documentation are missing ?

No. As far as I know those files are now freely available. I don't think
NetBSD has all of the old historical documents though.

You can easily find them using Google; for example, FreeBSD has copies of
the old documentation available via their website.

> If not how can I recover all the documentation tree ? ( Maybe I could
> download the files from someone )

What version of NetBSD? You can download misc.tgz from a NetBSD.org
download mirror.

(You don't need to email same questions twice.)

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 Low cost press releases
	  	 	 http://www.reedmedia.net/