Subject: Re: Asking for NVIDIA drivers
To: None <Undisclosed.Recipients>
From: Marc Tooley <netbsdMLpostNO@SPAM.quake.ca>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 06/22/2005 14:27:59
> Personally, I think that it's far more important for nVidia and other
> manufacturers to just release complete documentation---including

The problem is that nVidia's hands are already tied. They've very
publically stated that some of the technology they use in their
products is itself under an NDA, so they simply don't have the power to
release information about their cards to us even if they did want to. I
believe a majority at nVidia does want to release information to us,
because at the moment they're stuck supporting the FreeBSD and Linux
kernel modules themselves.

It's not that they're being obtuse: often people make nVidia out to be
this big uncaring corporation who's too interested in the bottom line
to simply make the decision to open up documentation for their
hardware, as though such a decision is a mere CEO penstroke away from
happening. The question in essence then becomes, "It's easy to release
the documentation. Why don't they just do it?"

This isn't the case, and they've already talked publically about their
tied hands in many forums.