Subject: Asking for NVIDIA drivers
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Bruno <nc41530a@vizzavi.pt>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 06/22/2005 19:31:29
This is what I posted at

Would like your opinion, could I improve my approach ?

*Proposal: multi-OS multi-platform closed source module*

This post is a great example of how much NetBSD users love NetBSD but
miss 3D acceleration.
http://www.freebsdforums.org/forums...3994#post173994
<http://www.freebsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=173994#post173994>

To Nvidia: NetBSD code is known for its quality, correctness and
portability. Having NetBSD developer(s) working on a NVIDIA driver
(under an NDA of course) could benefit more than just NetBSD users (
read potential NVIDIA consumers ).

It could be possible that their portability experience could help
defining a closed source module with an open source interface that could
be used by all UNIX-based OS, that could be used over every different
platforms that use PCI/AGP.

A description of the NetBSD driver development criteria:
http://www.netbsd.org/Goals/portability.html

I believe that under such conditions it's possible that the
Linux/*BSD/Solaris communities almost support themselves in terms of X
and kernel integration and new platforms like x86/64 while you stabilize
your closed source module and focus your support into NVIDIA-specific
stuff.

I really like the idea of a multi-OS multi-platform closed source
module. If possible (I believe it is) it would provide a great example
to the hardware market on how to support everyone without forcing them
to Windows or providing your tech secrets

Please take this as a serious post.

Best regards,
Bruno Henriques

PS: Of course could you can try to develop such a driver on your own,
I'm just saying NetBSD developers would be willing to do it if they
could and wouldn't mind a NDA at all. And NVIDIA would spend less human
resources on such project as they're needed to support current drivers.