Subject: Re: Eric Raymond talks about GPL and BSD licenses
To: bruno <bruno.m.henriques@netvisao.pt>
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 06/09/2005 09:11:37
--NJGH6qcD7M1vSGDg

On Wednesday,  8 June 2005 at 11:37:33 +0100, bruno wrote:
> Saw this at http://bsdnews.com/view_story.php3?story_id=5039
>
> Full English text at
> http://www.myfreebsd.com.br/static/raymond-20050604.html
>
> "Basically, we don't need GPL. It's based on the belief that open source
> software is weak and needs to be protected. With it, we continue
> injuring ourselves, cutting ourselves from the economic benefits of BSD
> license"
>
> Seems like the age of innocence is over for him :)

Or for the rest of you.

esr has in fact been favourable towards BSD for well over a decade.
Until Linux came along, he had intended to use BSD (probably BSD/OS)
as his main system.  That changed, of course, but in 1999 he quoted
from a draft of a book he was writing that the BSD license was the
freest of the licenses.  I assume it made it into the book, but I've
forgotten which one it was.

Greg
--
The virus contained in this message was not detected.

Finger grog@NetBSD.org for PGP public key.

--NJGH6qcD7M1vSGDg

--NJGH6qcD7M1vSGDg--