Subject: Re: Eric Raymond talks about GPL and BSD licenses
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 06/08/2005 06:58:17
On 6/8/05, Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org> wrote:
>=20
> On Jun 8, 2005, at 4:37 AM, bruno wrote:
> > "Basically, we don't need GPL. It's based on the belief that open
> > source software is weak and needs to be protected. With it, we
> > continue injuring ourselves, cutting ourselves from the economic
> > benefits of BSD license"
> >
> > Seems like the age of innocence is over for him :)
>=20
> My dream that a fatal illness take him from us never seems to come true.

That's a little strong, don't you think?

If he really said that, then that's fine with me. I originally was a
GPL supporter until I actually stepped back to think about it for
about a few minutes after reading the BSD license.

Like I said, if he really said that (and I can't find any evidence of
it other than this article, but I'm not an ESR follower or anything),
then this is great.

Andy