Subject: Re: Why is Hubert "pissed off"?
To: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@twofifty.com>
From: Michael W. Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/11/2005 11:15:26
On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 08:01:04AM -0700, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Herb Peyerl wrote:
>

> >On Apr 11, 2005, at 7:15 AM, Mark Weinem wrote:
> >>from Hubert's blog:
> >>(http://www.feyrer.de/NetBSD/blog.html)
> >>

> >I don't know but why do you think asking on -advocacy is in some way
> >superior to sending him private mail?  Or are you just looking to stir
> >things up?
>
> I'm on a lot of the mailing lists and I don't know the answer, either.
> Plus, Hubert's blog is very public in the NetBSD community, so I can see
> why someone would ask on a mailing list.
>
> But I agree, emailing Hubert might be the best idea. You might not get
> any answers, however, if he's not willing to say on the blog why he's
> mad.

But if you ask him privately, you won't increase awareness of the
arguments within the private community!  You won't archive those
arguments, or knowledge of their existence, for all eternity within
the scads of mailing list archives out there.  You won't tarnish
NetBSD's reputation as a bunch of whining, disagreeable, spoiled-brat
developers.

How is anyone going to decide to pitch the "NetBSD Iron Code Match"
reality TV show without all of that?

Oh, that *wasn't* what you were trying to accomplish?  Oh, well, never
mind.

(PS: Seriously, there are always disagreements between developers.
I'm not on the NetBSD developer list, of course, but sitting on other
similar lists I can tell you there are always disagreements.  People
need a place to bitch in private.  Either they mean nothing, or they
will eventually become public.  And when they become public, people
will interpret them to death like they news anchors trying to fill
empty hours during the OJ Simpson trial.)

==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas	mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org
	       Latest book: Cisco Routers for the Desperate