Subject: Questions about recent news item: interviews
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/28/2005 15:55:43
I'm referring to this article:

http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a/5638

And this question:

Sometimes, I read complaints about the big number of committers in
some BSD projects. Could you tell us the current total number for each
section (pkgsrc, src, xsrc, docs)? How many of them are really active?

Could it be the case that NetBSD is sort of unique in this area
because of the portability aspect?

I'm not sure what the correct way to say this is, but I'll try:

I'm a member of mailing lists for a few different ports. When it comes
to machine specific code, it seems like changes are implemented and
tested and generally done with a little more cavalier attitude than
macine independent code.

Developers seem to commit stuff, then put out a note to the relevant
lists for that architecture, and say "please test this and let me
know". And we do (if possible).

But when it comes to machine independent code, the developers sort of
take a step back and say something like "hmm maybe we should think
about this" and pull in some of the more familar names for some
discussion about it.

This seems like a benefit somehow?

Andy