Subject: Re: The BSD license vs the GPL
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Dieter <netbsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/24/2005 21:55:49
> > I see everyone is missing the point of the GPL.
> >
> > Go read up on *why* RMS created the GPL.

> What propaganda do you want me to read?

Thus spoke the Google:

}    Back some time ago at the MIT
}    software labs, Richard was trying to print to some ding doing
}    printer and couldn't. There was a software bug which stood
}    between him and his printout. Richard wanted to solve the problem
}    by getting the source code and fixing it. He couldn't, the source
}    code was not available and more important, could not be made
}    available because the company who sold MIT the printer would not
}    hand over the code. The code was locked up behind legal doors and
}    Stallman was not going to be able to solve this problem. Thus the
}    beginning of the free software movement which has evolved into
}    what we know today.