Subject: Re: The BSD license vs the GPL
To: None <netbsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/23/2005 11:29:48
On 23-Feb-05, at 3:22 AM, Dieter wrote:
> If you haven't noticed, there are a lot of commercial
> products out there based on Linux, dispite the alleged
> disadvantages of the GPL.  They list the source code
> availability as a feature.  It is a selling point.

"whatever"... My employer ships a linux based product and we go to
great lengths to ensure that we comply to the terms of the GPL and were
we ever asked to ship our code, we would be able to point people at the
website for the distribution we're based on.

So in other words, the GPL hasn't helped anyone for the vast majority
of companies who are shipping commercial products based on lignux
because their proprietary code is held up outside the bounds of the
GPL.

Next superfluous argument please?