Subject: Re: The BSDFreak issue, and where to go from here
To: Ben Collver <collver@peak.org>
From: Charles M. Hannum <abuse@spamalicious.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/14/2005 20:23:08
On Monday 14 February 2005 20:19, Ben Collver wrote:
> Hello Charles,
>
> This is well put, and I agree wholeheartedly.
>
> I pretty much said the same thing in an IRC discussion, and was told
> that if TNF knowingly allows infringement, then in the future the IP
> cannot be enforced.

That's a strawman anyway.  We could just as easily say:

"In exchange for sending us 5 [picking a number out of my butt -ed] t-shirts,
we will grant you a non-exclusive license to produce memorabilia using our
trademark and logo.  Sorry for the formality, but this is so that we can say
on paper that we haved defended the trademark."

Instead, we said (paraphrasing):

"You bastard!  You're stealing our IP!  Stop or pay us an unspecified amount
of money!"

Which one is a better way to treat someone who's doing you a favor?  Hm?