Subject: Re: [lo] Re: Flag logo CPU badges?
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/14/2005 13:34:36
--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq

Sean Davis <erplefoo@gmail.com> wrote:
=20
> And speaking of how the open source world sees it... has anyone
> stopped to consider the image NetBSD is making for itself by acting
> more concerned about an orange flag logo than  the fact that several
> key servers that actually get NetBSD out to the users have died
> recently, some of them repeatedly, and don't seem to be getting fixed
> in anything approaching a timely manner?

As pointed out previously, this has *absolutely nothing* *whatsoever* to
do with the discussion at hand.  I find it rather offensive that you
would claim that the NetBSD project is not concerned about hardware
failure on its servers.  You have -- as far as I can tell -- absolutely
zero knowledge about what is done about these failures, and therefor
should not make speculative statements as to how TNF prioritizes tasks.

=20
> I am, obviously, not a lawyer, but I fail to see how a trademark that
> applies to *ONLY* the word NetBSD magically requires NetBSD to
> ruthlessly litigate against any supposed commercial use of it's
> non-trademarked logo.

``ruthlessly'' ?  If you could kindly point out when and where, exactly,
TNF has acted ruthlessly, that might help you gain an ounce of ground to
stand on.  In fact, I'd challenge you to find any occurence in this case
where TNF has not acted politely and entirely professional.

> The bickering over whether Alex could be taken to court for allegedly
> illegally using the NetBSD logo reeks of the same attitude displayed
> by SCO regarding source files in Linux, but with one major difference:

This sentence seems to imply that somebody on behalf of TNF has
expressed interest in taking Alex to court.  For the record I would like
to state that -- as far as I can tell from the public messages in this
thread -- this has in fact not been the case.

Alex was approached by TNF regarding cooperation that he, for his own
reasons and without dialog with the project, chose not to endeavor in at
that time.

Let's try not to misrepresent the facts.

-Jan

--=20
The Internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.
	-- John Gilmore

--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq

--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq--