Subject: Re: Star & NetBSD
To: None <schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de, hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Joerg Schilling <schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/10/2005 22:24:00
Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > Last night, I did convert star from a GPL tool into a CDDL
> > tool. This now makes star compliant with the BSD philosophy.
> > Is there a chance to have star integrated into NetBSD?
>
> This question should be discussed on tech-userlevel@, netbsd-advocacy@ is
> for advocacy of the NetBSD operating systems.

If you like people to post into different mailing list, please
provide a useful explanation on the web page. I did use the mailing list
that looks apropriate.

> Issues I see are:
>   * what is star? (I can only guess it's some Super-tar)

Standard tar

>   * why would it be better to replace the existing "pax" (which is defined
>     in SUSv3)? tar and cpio are only frontends to pax in NetBSD.

Why use an ancient pax implementation when there is another implementation
that is closer to POSIX.1-2001?

cpio & pax are just front ends to star....

>   * I'm not convinced the CDDL is free of problems. I know you thinkg
>     different, and I'd really love to hear more opinions on this (should
>     probaby be discussed on this list).

You most likely did not yet read enough about the CDDL and it's intentions.

http://www.opensolaris.org/faq/licensing_faq.html

The CDDL is compatible to the BSD license in both directions.

> FWIW, there is already a package for star in pkgsrc/archivers/star, so
> people have an way to install star easily on NetBSD if they want it.

Is is available in the basic system?

Jörg

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de		(uni)
       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/