Subject: Re: My reasons for BSD over GPL, for a company
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/09/2005 23:06:17
On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Andy Ruhl wrote:
>>   * In contrast, when you put new code under the GPL, or write code
>>     based on a program released under the GPL, it is mandatory that you
>>     release the full source of all your changes. Many big companies have
>>     been bitten by this with Linux, see http://www.gpl-violations.org/ to
>>     find that prominent companies like Siemens, ASUS, Sitecom, Gigabyte and
>>     many others are affected of this (aparently?) difficult to follow
>>     requirement of the GPL.
> BUT, (big BUT), does this actually happen? Can anyone quantify this?
> If I'm company A and I'm feeling generous and add to the BSD source,
> does this mean company B pops up, uses "my" (my?) intellectual
> contribution and use it against me? I don't think it does.

I do. Read the above URL!

(Really, I mean read it, before proceeding here!) The point is, that not
even the GPL (which forces people to keep things public, or at least tries
to do so) doesn't succeed. One could say that the GPL just doesn't work
out, but that won't help to your argument that "people won't close-source
BSD code".

  - Hubert

--
NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)