Subject: Re: Slashdot: Where does NetBSD fit in?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Chris Laverdure <dashevil@sympatico.ca>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/06/2005 20:45:57
On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 16:04 +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> For those that haven't seen it, there's a thread "Where does NetBSD fit
> in?" on Slashdot. Kinda interesting to read, nothing shockingly new (to
> me; people not familiar with NetBSD may learn a few things that I
> understand as favourable to us).

>   - Hubert

The only NetBSD thread I saw recently on Slashdot involved people from
the Linux camp ranting about how Linux is more portable, how NetBSD is
irrelevant, etc, etc. Plus there were a bunch of BSD enthusiasts that
were either saying NetBSD sucked compared to whateverBSD or that
whateverBSD sucked compared to NetBSD.

Whatever, you know. I hate all the fighting and so I ignore SlashDot as
much as I can. GNU zealots saying that BSD will never be popular because
it's Free software and not "Free" software. Heaven forbid you make a
contribution to society. Then you have general Linux zealots who say
that Linux would beat NetBSD on 32-processor machines, but you know,
NetBSD probably doesn't even run on those machines (they mock). AS if,
you know, as IF the community made them run on 32-processor machines.
No, it was the big corporations who did that, and if those very same big
corporations made an OS that wasn't GPL software that ran on
32-processor machines, it suddenly sucks. They're all retards.

I'm personally just glad that you guys do the great high quality work
that you do. It's a pity that I don't get a chance to use NetBSD as much
as I'd like, but I've never had anything negative to say about it. I'm
glad that it can survive without all the hype and attention. I'm glad
that it doesn't have the retards that typically come with that level of
hype and attention. The retards that try to identify with a piece of
software because they have nothing else to identify with, or even a
license.

I'm sorry, maybe I just get pissed off too easily, but I can't even read
groklaw anymore. The attitude there seems to be if it's not GPL, then
the authors "don't get it" (whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean.)
Even regarding OpenSolaris... Linux people want it GPLed, why? Not so
they can USE it and say, hey, this is great, another GPLed OS! No, they
want to take all the things they like from it and use it to prop up
Linux. I'm sure that made sun feel all fuzzy and warm about the
prospects of joining this community in that big of a way.

I'm going to end my rant now.

--
Chris Laverdure <dashevil@sympatico.ca>