Subject: migrating to NetBSD documents (was Re: We have an image problem...)
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/10/2005 23:02:24
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Andy Ruhl wrote:

> Would it be too offensive to produce a "Migrating from <fill in the
> blank> to NetBSD" type of document? I still run a FreeBSD server, and

Sounds like a great idea. I worked on a document for BSD/OS to NetBSD (and
part one is online) and it would be good to do some others.

Probably a short article of about a thousand words should be sufficient.
It could cover some of the differences in fundamental skills/tasks:

- differences in device and naming

- differences in installation steps

- user and group administration; adduser/pw versus user(8)

- maybe sysinstall (for later administration) versus sushi

- standard/default running services

- starting and stopping services (FreeBSD 4.x style to rc.d)

- basic networking (and network configuration at start up)

- daily / periodic jobs

- differences between logging and log rotation

- update source, build and install kernel and world steps

- ports versus pkgsrc; binary packages; updating packages

- miscellaneous differences in tools; no sockstat, etc.

- 10 sentences introducing 10 interesting tools included with NetBSD

- where to find documentation and help

Anyone want to send me a couple sentences, a paragraph or more off-list?
I'll edit and compile for a useful article. (Let's start with FreeBSD
4.x to NetBSD 2.0.)

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/