Subject: Re: We have an image problem...
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@engine.ca>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/08/2005 14:06:00
> > Prehaps something cool, like a bootable Knoppix like CD/DVD, can be
> > made for NetBSD, so that developers can pop into their computers,
> > boot it up, and easily port their code.
>
> And yet another example of how NetBSD can't promote itself very well:
> NetBSD Live CDs have been around since June of 2002
> (http://www.netbsd.org/Changes/2002.html#live-cd) and can easily be
> adapted and created using the pkgsrc/sysutils/mklivecd package (one
> example: http://www.netbsd.org/Changes/#livecd-contest).
>
> But somehow the majority of the Open Source world seems to think that
> this only exists for Linux and must be called Knoppix.

Hi Jan:

Wow, even as a NetBSD power use, I had no idea!!! This is cool, I will
compile it ASAP and try it out.

However, I do think that the NetBSD live CD needs to be promoted better,
with a webpage with links to the ISO images, that itself is linked from
the NetBSD home page with a caption that says something like "Run NetBSD
live from just a CD".

Alicia.