Subject: Re: We have an image problem...
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Alexander Chamandy <bsdfreak@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/07/2005 13:53:40
On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 13:40:19 -0500, Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com> wrote:

> Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org> writes:
> > But that's enough "we should"... Maybe our PR department needs
> > volunteers.
>
> It always does.

I think Linus is, as some have suggested, just a FUD machine.  He'll
bash anything that doesn't have his name on it, so to speak.  I myself
try to put as much positive PR about NetBSD on my site
(www.bsdfreak.org), which has a considerable audience.  Sending a
letter to the editor is a fantastic idea (that Jeremy mentioned),

I also think we all need to spend some time going on the offense and
working the media.  Writing articles for trade publications,
newsletters, giving interviews (where invited), even consider public
speaking.  Noone necessarily needs to be "sold" on an operating
system, but I don't think that's really what good PR is about.
Instead, I think it's about having people connect the name to a
positive message, the logo to what it stands for and hopefully have
their idea of NetBSD be accurate instead of distorted and negative.

The interview with the NetBSD developers on NewsForge
(http://trends.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/12/22/1954233&tid=8&tid=29)
was a *very* good thing, for example.

--
Best wishes,