Subject: Re: We have an image problem...
To: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
From: Mirko Thiesen <thiesi@NetWorkXXIII.de>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/07/2005 12:24:07
On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Mike Cheponis wrote:

[...]

>          On the other hand, no, Linux does not have that _stupid_ notion of
>          having totally separate kernel development for different issues.  If
>          you want a secure BSD, you get Open BSD; if you want a usable BSD, you
>          get FreeBSD; and if you want BSD on other architectures, you get
>          NetBSD.  That is just idiotic, to have different teams worry about
>          different things.
>
>          In Linux, we aim for balanced development.  We do a lot of security,
>          because people care about it, but we don't do it by ignoring other issues.
>
> -----
>
> Please, this is not "bash linux" flame bate!

It's hard not to bash Linux when "Emperor Penguin" makes such a statement.
You would want to yell at him: "Ah, yes, and in NetBSD we don't bother
with stupid things like usability and security, because if you want one of
those, you can always get FreeBSD and OpenBSD. You obviously understand
how *BSD works."

> And, if we can't get our Message to people like him that make a semi-active
> effort to understand the open s/w unix-compatible OS world, then imagine what

Well, his efforts don't really seem to be so semi-active or active at all
then, do they? Honestly I don't think that "Big Penguin" is a measure for
many/most people who deal with Un*x-like OSes or Open Source Software in
general.

> our messaging must seem to the average unix Joe on the street!

At least my experience is that recently NetBSD gained a lot of attention.
The people I met and who took a look at NetBSD seemed to be far more
open-minded than "Big Penguin". (It's up to you to decide how much it
actually takes to be more open-minded than BP, of course.)

Bye, K&K,
T-Zee
--
thiesi@NetWork23.Sytes.NET ---- NetBSD: Power to the people!
Tel.: ++49-(0)171-416 05 09 -- Fax: ++49-(0)171-134 16 05 09