Subject: Re: NetBSD momentum
To: Chris Laverdure <dashevil@sympatico.ca>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/22/2004 10:48:22
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Chris Laverdure wrote:

> [...]
>
> I don't know. I just don't think that NetBSD users should be harping
> about speed. I think it looks much more cool if they're like, "Yea, well
> we do this fast, but that doesn't really concern us too much. We're just
> here to get the job done right."

 	One of NetBSD's failings has been in not communicating what
 	it can do. I don't think we should be spamming the world
 	about "how cool we are because we are faster than X at the
 	moment", but I do think we should make the information
 	available so we can tell if we are faster, or not, and in
 	what areas.

 	The original scalability benchmarks were invaluable in
 	pointing out areas in which we were not as good as we should
 	have been, and motivating developers to fix them. That is
 	going to work both ways - if we have a benchmark showing
 	how much faster we are than FreeBSD it will push FreeBSD
 	developers to speed up their code. Its a virtuous cycle.